The social media platform has served as a boon in today’s world. It has channelized to be a huge platform for sharing information globally. Acquiring easier accessibility to the internet and a huge number of registered users makes the platform gain popularity for disseminating information in the most convenient way.
One of the top-notch examples outlined in the peak of search information about the peak of Covid-19n pandemic since its rise. A large part of the internet, as well as social media users, searched keenly to garner the proper demonstration correlation about the commencement and the relatable factors of the disease.
How social media helped right from the initial phase?
The platforms have become a boon in disguise for everybody. Right from the phase when lockdown happened, the main source of communication with friends and family to reducing the isolation and boredom, social media served for it all. People who tend to have to face issues with anxiety and stress even tried their hands-on social media platform.
Many characteristics come to display when showcasing social media platforms during this pandemic. On all levels, the information sources and channelized connected people from all over the world.
People are sharing protocols about the treatment, sharing information about personal protection equipment and even sharing updated records and information about the allocation of hospital beds to medical facilities. It seemed to have become the new normal.
How beneficial has been the viral news over social media platforms?
- A huge segment of the news were showers of blessing upon a different set of people. Let’s just take a piece of small information, UNESCO did develop a form of chart to source information about how to take care of ourselves during this pandemic.
- What are the protocols that need to be followed? There is video imagery as well as a well-crafted infographic about airway management of patients with COVID-19.
- The news was widely spread over major social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more. Even now when their things are a little haywire in our country, we have seen people coming out in support. Humanity exists! People are sharing relevant sources of information for oxygen cylinders, hospital beds and relevant sources of information.
- Not just the above-stated platforms, a study by Basch stated that more than 100 viewed videos were seen on YouTube related to “Coronavirus”.
- As much as people were aware of the scenario of the world, they were more inclined to know, read, listen and comment on deaths, quarantine status, dealing with anxiety and likewise.
- With the research and study, we have come across that there has been a major emphasis on the missed out opportunity for dissemination of quality information. This is in relevance to prevention against contagion, frequent symptoms and post-covid period. And these were all mainly consulted informative sources.
How to use disseminated information on social media?
Following are the guideline for disseminating information –
- Abide by dissemination through reliable and well-established groups and professional platforms
- Tag in the trusted source while sharing information
- Restrict from sharing such information that would trigger panic or anxiety
- Verify through the sources, quality is important.
- No medical advice unless you are a professional.
As we have been focusing on the benefits, education has shifted to online portals. People are reviewing recorded webinars and sessions through different social media platforms like Zoom, Google Meet, YouTube and more.
Is there any negative impact during the pandemic?
- As much as there are advantages, we cannot dismiss the disadvantages. One of the majors could be sharing information that is old and unrelatable.
- Another setback is the “bubble filters”. It is mainly a form of society curated towards the user where the algorithm through collected data showcases the same pattern and sources of visuals.
- The content remains somewhere the same but from different sources. And you will majorly see this over Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.
- And the one that you cannot leave is social media has the power to viral such posts or videos that could trigger stress, fear, depression and anxiety in people.
Social media is like two sides of the coin. You need to make use of the right tools and keep your search right to garner through relevant sources of information. Being a responsible social media user, you should take the persistent step to avoid such ruckus and go through what is relevant. If you are sharing any online information, try to know the source and review whether it is legitimate.Get your products seen by people. Know More.